Now that your braces are off and you are enjoying your beautiful new smile, we would like to give you some information about retainers.
Retainers are very important to your orthodontic result and the first year after braces is always the most crucial.
- Until you are advised differently, wear your retainer all the time, except for playing sports and eating.
- Brush the retainers with cold water every time you brush your teeth. Soaking them in mouthwash during dinner will give you that after-dinner mint taste. Occasionally soaking in regular denture cleaner is also a good idea.
- Retainers can easily be broken if they are not in your mouth or in their case. Avoid backpacks, back pockets, tabletops and places where the family pet can reach them.
- If you break your retainer, do not try to fix it yourself. Call our office to get it repaired.
- Be careful not to click your retainer in and out all the time or always be taking it out to show friends. This will cause it to get loose and not fit properly.
- Retainers do not like heat. Avoid hot water, sunlight and do not microwave them (yes, it has been done).
- You may talk funny or salivate more when you first get your retainer. This is normal and will improve with practice and time.
- Remember: retainers are difficult to make and are expensive to replace. Take care of them and keep your recall appointments with us. With proper care, your retainer will serve you well for a very long time.